Friday, January 27, 2012

Italian Sausage Soup

There are a number of reasons why I have been trying to cook more:

1. To prepare for being a good wife in 8 months
2. To learn in general (or re-emerge my skills from high school culinary arts class hehe)
3. To be healthier
4. To save money

So I have been looking at Pinterest for recipes, and I couldn't be happier with what I've found. This soup is my favorite thing I've found so far. Its simple, easy, quick, healthy, and delicious. Add some crusty bread for dipping and a pint of craft beer, and JMC and I are in food heaven.


 Italian Sausage Soup

8 oz hot or sweet turkey sausage (or chicken sausage or pork sausage if you don't mind losing some of the healthiness)
2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
2 cups bagged baby spinach leaves
2 tbsp grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage (or buy ground Italian sausage). Add sausage to pan, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return to pan.

Add broth, tomatoes, and pasta to pan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.


Seriously, this is one of the easiest and fastest meals I have ever made. I made it once with pork sausage and once with chicken sausage. The pork sausage was more delicious, but adds calories. I plan on trying it with turkey sausage soon to see if that will be better than the chicken sausage and just as healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment