Friday, April 20, 2012

In My Mind I'm Goin' to Carolina...

JMC and I will be going through so many changes in the near future.

My last day at my current job is scheduled to be May 4th, and I just accepted a new position in Charlotte that will possibly overlap. I am moving out of my apartment this weekend and will be transient for the next couple weeks (AKA staying at JMC's condo) while I finish up my last bits of business in Chapel Hill.

Then, its the complete move. JMC and I are moving back in with our respective parents for a little while to save some money and look for a condo to buy. JMC starts his new job in July and will be studying for the CPA exam nonstop until then (or until he passes all parts... its said to be pretty difficult).

Leaving Chapel Hill is going to be bittersweet. I surely won't miss the parking hassles or all the protesting, but everything I will miss is definitely going to outweigh the issues.

Photo courtesy of my iPhone.. no joke, its that beautiful in Chapel Hill.
"I love UNC. I love the quad in spring and the arboretum in the fall. I love the Pit on a sunny day and Graham Memorial Lounge on a rainy one. I love Roy all the time. But what makes UNC truly special is not our beautiful campus, our distinguished reputation or even our basketball team. It's us - the student body - who make UNC what it is."
-Eve Carson, deceased student body president

We will certainly miss our friends, although most of them are already gone or will be leaving with us. We will miss our favorite restaurants, bars, buildings on campus. We will miss the beauty of the trees that line Franklin Street, our fraternity and sorority houses, the general feeling of belonging even on such a huge campus. It will be weird to come back and not recognize faces as we walk around. It will be weird to come back when stores and restaurants have come and gone. But the one thing about Chapel Hill is that if you went to school here it will always be "your town," no matter how old you are. Those who aren't a part of the Carolina Family just don't understand the impression that this place will leave on your heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment